Quits decreased slightly during the month of December to 4.1 million, according to the latest data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). This was a small decrease from November’s 4.2 million quits, but the quits rate remained the same at 2.7%.
There were 11 million job openings on the last day of December, a slight increase from November’s 10.5 million.
Where job openings increased
- Accommodation and food services (+409,000)
- Retail trade (+134,000)
- Construction (+82,000)
- Wholesale trade (+73,000)
- Finance and insurance (+35,000)
Where job openings decreased
- Information (-107,000)
- Other services (-32,000)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (-22,000)
- Nondurable goods manufacturing (-10,000)
- Health care and social assistance (-6,000)