The number of quits inched up to 4.2 million during the month of November, according to the most recent BLS Job Openings and Labor Turnover Summary. This is slightly more than the 4.0 million quits reported in October. The quits rate increased to 2.7%, up from 2.6% the previous month.
The number of job openings on the last business day of November was 10.5 million, up from October’s 10.3 million openings.
Where job openings increased
- Professional and business services (+212,000)
- Nondurable goods manufacturing (+39,000)
- Retail trade (+37,000)
- Durable goods manufacturing (+18,000)
- Government, state and local education (+9,000)
Where job openings decreased
- Accommodation and food services (-89,000)
- Finance and insurance (-75,000)
- Health care and social assistance (-62,000)
- Federal government (-44,000)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (-29,000)