The number of quits during the month of October inched down from the previous month to 4.0 million, according to the most recent BLS Job Openings and Labor Turnover Summary. This was slightly less than September’s 4.1 million quits. The quits rate also lowered slightly to 2.6%.
The number of job openings on the last business day of October was 10.3 million, a 353,000 decrease from September.
Where job openings increased
- Other services (+76,000)
- Finance and insurance (+70,000)
- Wholesale trade (+40,000)
- Retail trade (+24,000)
- State and local education (+23,000)
Where job openings decreased
- Professional and business services (-146,000)
- State and local government, excluding education (-101,000)
- Nondurable goods manufacturing (-95,000)
- Health care and social assistance (-86,000)
- Federal government (-61,000)