The number one factor determining job satisfaction for Millennials is respect for all employees in the workplace, according to a new report on job satisfaction and employee engagement from the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM).
Here are some of the other key findings:
- Overall, 88% of U.S. workers are satisfied with their job. This is the highest percentage since this survey began reporting the data in 2002.
- In job satisfaction, 51% of Millennials are satisfied with their jobs; 35% are very satisfied with their jobs
- The top 5 contributors to job satisfaction for Millennials are:
- Respectful treatment of workers at all levels
- Compensation and job security
- Opportunities to use skills and abilities
- Trust between employees and senior management
- Millennials place a greater value on job-specific training, career development, and advancement opportunities than their Baby Boomer counterparts.
Since Millennials are not solely motivated by compensation, recruiters should look at how to promote the complete work experience. This generation wants to work for companies that foster equality, open communication, community, and purpose. They value healthy relationships between employees and management.
Source: Society for Human Resource Management, Employee Job Satisfaction and Engagement: Revitalizing a Changing Workforce