There were 11 million open jobs in October.
Where job openings increased
- Accommodation and food services (+254,000 jobs)
- Construction (+56,000 jobs)
- Nondurable goods manufacturing (+45,000 jobs)
- Educational services (+42,000 jobs)
- State and local education (+38,000 jobs)
Where job openings decreased
- State and local, excluding education (-115,000 jobs)
- Retail trade (-18,000 jobs)
- Transportation, warehousing, and utilities (-18,000 jobs)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (-3,000 jobs)
- Finance and insurance (-1,000 jobs)
Net employment increased over the past year — there were 73.8 million hires and 68.1 million separations (including quits, layoffs, discharges, and other separations), reflecting a total net employment gain 5.7 million.