The number of quits dropped slightly to 4.1 million in September, down from 4.2 million in August (a -123,000 decrease), according to the recently released BLS Job Openings and Labor Turnover Summary. The quits rate was unchanged at 2.7% for the third month in a row.
The number of job openings on the last business day of September was 10.7 million. This is a 437,000 increase from the last business day of August.
Where job openings increased
- Accommodation and food services (+215,000)
- Health care and social assistance (+115,000)
- Transportation, warehousing, and utilities (+111,000)
- Professional and business services (+104,000)
- Construction (+36,000)
Where job openings decreased
- Wholesale trade (-104,000)
- Finance and insurance (-83,000)
- Durable goods manufacturing (-41,000)
- Other services (-7,000)
- State and local, excluding education (-4,000)