The number of quits was relatively unchanged for the month of August, and held steady at 4.2 million according to the most recent BLS Job Openings and Labor Turnover Summary. This number matched July’s 4.2 million quits. The quits rate was also unchanged at 2.7%.
The last business day of August saw a 1.1 million decrease in job openings from the previous month, down to 10.1 million.
Where job openings increased
- Construction (+54,000)
- Wholesale trade (+47,000)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (+10,000)
Where job openings decreased
- Healthcare and social assistance (-236,000)
- Other services (-183,000)
- Retail trade (-143,000)
- Finance and insurance (-127,000)
- Professional and business services (-119,000)