The number of quits for the month of July held steady at 4.2 million, according to data from the recently released BLS Job Openings and Labor Turnover Summary. This is in line with June’s 4.2 million quits. The quits rate also changed very little at 2.7%, after June’s 2.8%.
By the last business day of July, there were 11.2 million open jobs for the month, an increase from June’s 11.0 million open jobs.
Where job openings increased
- Retail trade (+85,000)
- Transportation, warehousing, and utilities (+81,000)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (+53,000)
- Federal government (+47,000)
- State and local education (+42,000)
Where job openings decreased
- Durable goods manufacturing (-47,000)
- Healthcare and social assistance (-44,000)
- Professional and business services (-38,000)
- Accommodation and food services (-31,000)
- Information (-21,000)